Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Playing It Safe With Social Media

Social media is definitely one of those things that have the good with the bad associated with it.  In a world where so much happens across social media, one must take extra precaution when it comes to what is said, how it is said and whom it is reaching.  

Before posting on these networks, people need to consider the concept of  social media (networking) security.  Social media networking security are a list of things we as social media users can use to help make sure we are as safe as possible online.  This is also practiced in the corporate world; it’s called social media policies.  This is a guideline set up by the employers for their employees to follow when it comes to using social networks in the work place.

There is tons of information about keeping safe on social media.  Here is an article from the Stay Safe Online Organization regarding social networks safety and here is another article about the top five social networking policy mistakes.  I even found a cartoon on YouTube titled Do you really have a private life online?


I have also created a basic list of a few social media networking securities we as avid social media users can follow.

Never upload anything you don’t want everyone to see - You may upload something only meant for your friends and family to see, but with the use of retweets, repins, reposts and likes, anyone and everyone might have the opportunity to see it.  This can be used both for network security and social media policies.

  • ·      Assume anything that you post will reach the majority of social network users at some point, whether it’s through hack, leak, or privacy policy change.
  • ·      Consider the Internet to be an archive, even if you delete a post or picture from your account, it’s still on the server of the social media platform and is probably searchable with a search engine.
  • ·      In a professional setting, be mindful of letting sensitive information slip that can harm the company or get you fired.
  • ·      If you don’t have anything nice to say to don’t say anything at all.  Stay away from things that you know are not true, and can be labeled as malicious, bullying and harassment.


Never use the same password for all your online activities - Each social media website requires the creation of a user name and password.

  • ·      Don’t use the same password for all the social media networks you use.
  • ·      Don’t use the same password for email and other online activities such as banking.
  • ·      If a social media site is hacked and your password (name and email address) becomes vulnerable, you don’t want the hackers to be able to access your other accounts such as your email.


Practice online safety - Everyone isn’t a friend; therefore, you should be extra careful about who you communicate with and what you communicate online.

  • ·      Learn about and use the privacy and security settings on social networks.
  • ·      Never post information that will leave you vurnable to certain situations.  For example, posting about you leaving your living space for an extended period of time.  You are sending an open invitation for someone to scope out what you left behind.
  • ·      Keep personal information personal.  Never give up too much information.  Try to keep it limited as possible.
  • ·      If a website doesn’t look secure, don’t use it.
  • ·      Be extra careful when purchasing online.  Make sure it has some type of safety and secured disclaimer.
  • ·      Know who your friends are.  If you don’t know the person, don’t add them as a friend.
  • ·      Keep your anti-virus software up-to-date.

I have read numerous articles about this topic today, many of these things I knew already and a few I learned today.  It only takes a few simple steps to keep you safe online.  Although, nothing is guaranteed 100%, doing these things can decrease the changes of issues arising.

At the end of the day, we have to take full responsibility regarding what we post online.  If you have to second-guess posting something, maybe it isn’t worth posting at all.




14 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea - This week's topic has been particularly interesting - it forces us to acknowledge the "important" things, and it's great to see so many similarities between our entries. It's clear that we all understand the value, and need, of managing your privacy and security online.

    For me - all of the advice that you have listed here can also be applicable to the offline world, not just the online one. If you were sending you child off to school - you would remind them - don't talk to strangers, don't invite people over without asking me. With so many changes in the "digital age" these thems of saftey remain the same.

    As new generations have social sharing more ingrained into their behaviors - how do you think we will have to educate them? Do you think cyber security / privacy will have to be integrated into the formal academic ciriculum? Do you think there will be more government / formal regulations about youth sharing?

    Would love to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adrienne, great questions. I think parents need to do a better job at monitoring and controlling what their children post online.

    I think with social media being so huge now and it only seems to be growing, that cypher security/privacy will eventually be integrated into the formal academic curriculum. I can see it being taught as a mandatory college course.

    I do think there will be more government/formal regulations about youth sharing and sharing in general. There are way too many issues about cyber bullying and posts about things youths shouldn't even be engaged in. It's sad that youths and adults would rather pull out their phone and video record an altercation, instead of calling the authorities. Some even upload it to popular websites and end up incriminating themselves. So, I think this is going to be some type of governmental issue soon where they try to put limits on what people can post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrea!

    Great post. You really run through the major security risks and issues that anybody using social media today needs to be aware of. I also really like Adrienne’s point above. This all seems like common sense in the offline world but it is really something that needs to be taught and instilled into people in the online world. It’s like you say in your post, not everyone is your friend. Not everyone who will be looking through your social network will necessarily be a good guy with the best of intentions. We make it very easy for our information to be taken and used against us. The way we teach our children to vigilant against strangers in the real world, we must also teach ourselves to be vigilant against strangers in the digital world.

    For all the risks and dangers that can be posed online today, your final point is dead on. Only we can take responsibility for our own safety in regards to our information and professional reputations. Before posting, a question that must pass through any person’s mind on social media: does the world need to know this? What are the benefits? What are the drawbacks with this information/comment out there?

    Do you ask yourself these questions before posting to your social network? How do you protect yourself? What questions do you pose to yourself before posting? And, if you don’t, which questions will you start posing to yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cue my mom's token saying - "don't say anything you wouldn't want posted on the bathroom walls!"

      Now you'd replace "say" with "post" - but the idea is still the same. Interestingly, I repeat this mantra not only when I'm posting on my personal profile, but also in any business communications. At my company, we have an internal social platform that is behind our secure firewall. Even though it's one of the most secure platforms I've ever seen, we are still cognizant of the fact that anything can get out, there's always a way for information to leak.

      I err on the side of caution. If I need to share sensitive information, I simply call someone, instead of posting it in a way that could be a security risk. How do you, and others, handle posting sensitive information?

      Delete
    2. Nashrid, I don't tend to ask myself questions too often, because I'm not an avid poster. I don't post personal information at all. The most I post about is tv shows, music, food or something fun in NYC I end up doing. I keep it pretty simple.

      Delete
    3. Adrienne, If someone needs important information, I call them also. If there's no contact number, they don't need the information. Someone stealing my identity is one of those things that keeps me paranoid.

      Delete
  4. Hey Andrea!

    Great post! I absolutely love that video! It's funny actually, I too make my photos only seen by my friends but often times I do not think about the ability to copy and paste. I guess I like to think that people wouldn't do that (Creepy!) but I bet it happens more often then we think. Do you have a tendency to monitor where you post pictures?
    By the way, both of those articles you attached are great. I think they really help breakdown internet security.
    You mention being safe when you purchase things online, how are you safe when purchasing online? What tips do you follow?
    Nice post!

    -Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele,
    If I post a picture, it's usually on Instagram. I don't have my social media accounts linked. But I notice that a lot of people have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram linked together, so it's hard for people like them to monitor pictures. One post on a social media site goes to the other two sites.

    I try to make my purchases through paypal, so I don't have to put in my card number. If the website doesn't have paypal, I only order from it if it looks legit or if I know someone that orders from it. I also look for the little TRUSTe, Verisign, or Verified & Secured logos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paypal seems like a smart way to go. I have never used it but I am curious as to how it works. Also, looking for the verified logos is a great idea! I do purchase online but it also does make me nervous, many times I use the prepaid visa cards that you can buy at Walgreens, you load an amount on them and you are ready to go. They are extremely handy.

    -Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Michele, I think that's the best choice, they are definitely handy liquid. Chase also has a liquid card that is reloadable. My sister uses it to make purchases from other countries online. Do you usually make purchases from other countries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Question! I actually do not traditionally make purchases from other countries. In fact, I am not sure that I have ever. I know one of my friends purchased something directly from China once but I personally have not. Does it take a lot longer to get something from another country or is it usually the same as standard shipping?

      -Michele

      Delete
    2. I don't usually order things from other countries, my friend does off of Ebay and it takes nearly two weeks sometimes. I know my sister ordered something and it came in about three days. I was surprised about that.

      Delete
  8. Andrea,

    I liked your advice about considering the Internet as an archive. Just because something is deleted does not mean it is gone. This is an important concept for everyone to understand. I have given several social media presentations to our student-athletes using examples from the Internet. All images of Tweets and Facebook posts are copied and pasted into the presentation. Using these images shows that posts people thought were deleted were actually captured by someone who took a screenshot and posted it. The bottom line is that these images never go away.

    The second point that you touched on is the golden rule. If you do not have anything nice to say about someone, then don’t say it. Social media has become a public forum for people to hide behind. Instead of confronting displeasure with someone or something, people take to social media to air their dirty laundry. People can say whatever they want usually without consequence. The disturbing part is that is usually no fact-checking or research involved, so comments may or may not be true.

    I ran into an issue this weekend when someone ridiculed something that they never watched themselves. They received the information second-hand. Unfortunately, they voiced their concern and it spread on social media. This reckless behavior had no recourse, which is unfortunate. That is the danger of voicing opinion without fact.

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, That happens a lot on social media unfortunately. People spreading information and "news" based on something that they heard from someone else. I'm a "googler", I like to find out information, fact check and see things for myself before I comment…..Good point about hiding behind public forums. That's how so many issues arise, people go on social media saying all kinds of unnecessary things and situations start to escalate. Gone are the days when you addressed problems face to face.

      Delete